Saturday, December 11, 2010

We Got This!

"Change is constant." Such a true quote.  Nothing stays the same forever.  I am the type of person that tries to milk everything out of a certain moment, I try to soak up EVERYTHING in a particular time in my life.  However, this also has it's down sides - I'm afraid of the next step.  I waste my time doing something so I don't have to move on to a new beginning. 

Change occurs when the pain of remaining the same outweighs the fear of the pain of change.

Also a true quote, true for me anyway.  Let me put this in terms of an example.  I heard someone explain this quote as such, and then I immediately understood.  Okay so say you wake up in the morning because you have to pee, but you don't want to get out of bed.  Your bed is SO comfortable that you don't want to get out onto the cold floors.  So this is what you decide between: either staying the same, so laying in bed having to really pee, OR getting up to relieve the pain of having to pee so badly.  Get it? So eventually, change must occur, unless you want to piss yourself.  Which in life, if you don't change, you can end up also, figuratively speaking, piss yourself. 

It's not that people don't want to change, I believe, it's that people are afraid.  I am one of those people.  I never adapted well to new things occurring, which is the reason I believe I have my anxiety disorder.  How many of you have looked into the future and felt fear? Maybe it's exciting fear, or even that pit in the stomach. omgimgoingtofail fear.  Both are normal, it's part of life. So for all of you being afraid of a change, or even being nervous about it. You're not alone.  And I;m going to try and help.  This is me trying to be a future psychologist (watch out!).  If this doesn't work out however, I think I'm going to move to Las Vegas and become a burlesque dancer. I just saw the movie 'burlesque' last night with christina and cher. I absolutely loved it, and now it's making me think becoming a burlesque dancer might be a good move for me. Good money, hot men, right? (haha, just playing. actually, no I'm not)

But anyway back to helping with adapting to change.  I'm going to give you the best compilation of advice that I think can help you.

1) Take a deep breath, inhale (mmmm), exhale (ahhhh).

2) Accept that change is going to occur.  It's inevitable.  Try to think that a new experience is ahead of you, and that number one, you're a strong person for even taking on the challenge. Accept that things might be hard, and accept that there will be times when you want to give up.  But always know that you can handle this. Once acceptance occurs, it's time for the next step. (You might have to repeat this step over and over and over again. These things take time)

3) Try to go into a new change with an open mind.  A positive, open-mind.  Go into whatever you're next step is with the mind frame 'I got this." Or, for the more provocative, 'I'm going to kick some ass'.  Come on, you can do this.  Confidence is key, and really, what have you got to lose? If you start out in a change, you're already at the bottom, or maybe at a low threshold, and you're going to work your way up.  Think you can be the kind of person that can handle this and can make things happen.  Even if you don't truly believe this, keep saying it to yourself. Say it over and over again until you believe it, because EVERYONE has the power inside themselves to be that confidant person, you just gotta set yourself free.

4) Vent to someone you love or care about.  Tell them you're afraid.  Don't be embarrassed, because I'm almost absolutely positive that the person you talk to will have been afraid of change, too. Keep this person also when you're adapting to the change, talking is important. Everyone has been here before, as I said, you are not alone.  You are not alone, for I am here with you.  Though you're far awayyyy, I am here to stay.  (Quick Michael Jackson shout out haha, love you mj!)

5) Follow your dreams. I have to throw this in there, corny as it is.  Changing is apart of achieving you're dreams.

I think i've covered it. I'm no expert, but I thought I'd throw out some advice, this is also for me too haha. Sometimes I need to talk myself into things. And I write as if I'm telling just not all of you this, but to me too.  We're in this together chickas and chickos.  What change am I going through, you ask? Well, it's transferring from my tiny branch campus to another college.  I'm not even sure which one yet, but I'm searching.  I have to this, and I'm terrified. Absolutely terrified.

Deep breath, Jamie. Accept the fear. Feel it.

And thus ends today's therapy session everyone haha. Now time for some gratitudeness (aka the gratitude journal)

(since I've already been numbering things, why not use some letters?!) a - My friend Kyle - always is happy to see me, and always just puts a smile on my face. 

b - Curling Iron - got a new one today, and works wonders. I love curls, makes me feel all burlesque.  I'm seriously considering this as a career path haha (jk). Gotta get my high kick a little higher tho.

c - My stat's professor. Always understanding. And incredibly sexy. If I had him alone, ohhh the things I would do to that man. He actually is nerdy, but the way he explains stats and is so smart really entices me.  And he's good looking.  I'll show him how to conduct an anova, on my body ;). Probability of this actually happening, well let's just saw p<.05.

So embrace all these emotions, I'm trying to. Tell me, followers, What was the biggest change in your life that you've had trouble adapting to? And where did that change lead you to today?

Til tomorrow, turtle doves. I'm really hungry for some reese's peanut butter cups. I think I might go have one haha, oh guilty pleasures. Love yous! Jamie <3

2 comments:

  1. I used to be scared of change, but that's all that ever happens in my life. *Too* much changing occurs, so now i'm scared of repetition! I'm scared of routine!
    Do you have any advice on that? Haha.

    I'll have to keep an eye out and see Burlesque. I love curls too! I think im gettin a curling iron for CHristmas WOO. Got any tips on curling because i am actually hopeless!

    I love your posts, so so witty!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock my world. I'm transferring too. Not only is that scary but I'm also taking next semester off so I can figure out where I'll be transferring to in the fall. I only have a year and a half left and people think I'm crazy. What's crazier is how scary it would be to stay here and tough it out rather than do what makes me happy. Glad to know I'm in a similar adventure as you :) Good luck woman I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete